Back in 2007, The Gasoline Brothers recorded a somewhat spooky version of Ambulance Blues by Neil Young. Download it for free, or listen to it first. Have fun!
We’re happy to announce a new edition of the Coverclub! The theme we’ve chosen this time is ‘Guilty pleasures – songs you always wanted to cover but were afraid to like…’.. Download all the mp3’s and artwork here!
The Gasoline Brothers did a lo-fi stalker vocal version of The Carpenters’ song Close to you. You can listen to it below.
Coverclub Guilty Pleasures
While many coverbands may think it’s cool to play and record Top 40 hit songs, covering popular tunes is really not done among indie bands with a bit of street credibility. However, for the latest Coverclub edition, 10 cool Dutch indie acts came out of the closet and recorded their favourite ‘guilty pleasures’. Want to hear the songs? Listen to the songs with the player below – use the arrow buttons to navigate.
Here’s the complete track listing:
1. Silence is Sexy – Billie Jean (Michael Jackson)
2. Novack – Gypsy Woman (She’s Homeless) (Crystal Waters)
3. Anne Soldaat – Lydia (Dean Friedman)
4. Markowski – Durch den Monsun (Tokio Hotel)
5. The Gasoline Brothers – Close To You (The Carpenters)
6. Solo – Annabel (Hans de Booij)
7. Ponoka – Can’t Get You Out Of My Head (Kylie Minogue)
8. Pien Feith – Englishman in New York (Sting)
9. Tom Knol – Cry (Godley & Creme)
10. Pondertone – We’re All Water (Yoko Ono)
As a bonus, there are 10 rather hilarious video available on Youtube. Have a look at ‘our’ video below!
Once again: download all the mp3’s and artwork here!
We’ve discussed the Coverclub before on this blog. The basic idea? Take an artist or a theme and have a couple of bands record some cover songs. Then put the mp3’s on a website and let everyone download them for free. Preparations for the June 2009 edition of the Coverclub are in full swing. This time the theme we chose is ‘guilty pleasure’ – songs you always wanted to cover but were afraid to like… We’re hoping to present the entire edition on June 22nd. The update (and mp3’s) will be posted on this blog, as well as www.coverclub.nl.
Here’s the preliminary list of artists and songs:
- Anne Soldaat – Lydia (Dean Friedman)
- Silence is Sexy – Billy Jean (Michael Jackson)
- Tim Knol – Cry (Godley & Creme)
- Pien Feith – An Englishman in New York (Sting)
- Ponoka – Can’t get you out of my head (Kylie Minogue)
- The Gasoline Brothers – Close to you (The Carpenters)
- Pondertone – We’re all water (Yoko Ono)
- Solo – Annabel (Hans de Booij)
- Markowski – Durch den Monsun (Tokio Hotel)
- Novack – Gyspy Woman (Crystal Waters)
During preparations, something cool happened. Dean Friedman, writer of the song Lydia, found out on Twitter that Anne Soldaat was going to record it for the Coverclub. He send tweets to both Anne Soldaat and The Gasoline Brothers and told us he’s very proud his song was selected for this project. Yesterday, Anne sent him the final mix of his recording and got a message back. I’m quoting Dean Friedman: ‘I love it! Really nice hearing such a convincing and gutsy rendition of that tune. So cool! Just out of curiosity, any plans to release it in the UK? I think they’d eat it up.’
If you want to keep informed about the Coverclub, just follow The Gasoline Brothers on Twitter, or read this blog.